Event: LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Sixth Annual Robot Sumo 2013
Location: LEGO Imagination Center® in Downtown Disney® Marketplace at the Walt Disney World® Resort
Date: May 18, 2013 Saturday.
Time: Lightweight Sumo robot weigh-in 10:00 am.
Lightweight Sumo matches from 10:15 am-12 noon. Awards at 12 noon.
Tag Team Sumo robot weigh-in 12:30 pm
Tag Team Sumo matches start at 12:30 pm-3:30 pm. Awards at 3:45 pm.
Match Format: Matches will be determined by the number of entries but likely to be some round robin groups leading up to a semi-finals or round robin among the top entries.
Age: Note there is an age limit of under 12 for Lightweight Sumo but no limit for
Tag Team Sumo this year.
The LEGO Imagination Center® and TLCK is sponsoring a Robot Sumo event in the store. Contestants will bring a completed robot(s) to participate in the event. Registrations for the event will also be taken until 24 hours before the event and is free. On-line email registration will have to be made only by adults/parents of the children participating. This year adults are encouraged to participate in the Tag Team Sumo event. Email email@example.com to register. Please do NOT register unless you are sure of attending to aid in planning the tournament draw.
Only first and second prizes will be award for the events and will be LEGO Technic sets. Trials will be allowed on the official Sumo Ring until 15 minutes before matches.
Rules that are common to both tournaments:
* LEGO® parts only. BUT no DUPLO®, Toolo® or Znap®
* Power for motors can only be obtained from one RCX or one IB.
* One RIS or one Intelligent Brick (NXT) only but no limit on motors. Robot MUST be autonomous.
* Must be 8" length x 8" width at start (read this as extensions may drop after program run). There is no height restriction.
* No glue, chemicals or flames to be used by or on the robots.
* No 5 second delay before start (new rule to simplify programming).
* Winners of each match receive 2 points, losers 0. After 2 minutes of no resolution the match will be considered a draw with each contestant receiving 1 point. Total points at the end receives the first prize. In the event of ties, there will be a runoff match using best of 3 matches.
* The contestants must be ready to put robot in the ring within 1 minute of being called to the ring. Failure will result in forfeiture of match. So please do NOT take too much time to make adjustments to your robot as your match may be called.
Here are the extra rules for Lightweight Robot Sumo. Note the intent is for the robots to avoid the white edge of the table and eventually to meet for a pushing contest.
* Robot must be under 1 kg or 2.2. pounds for Lightweight Sumo.
* The sumo ring is about 77cm (30”) in diameter and is black vinyl in the middle with a 2.5 cm (1”) white vinyl border around it. There are 2 dark brown lines in the middle to be used as starting lines. Both robots will line up parallel to the brown lines but facing away from each other pointing to the borders at start. Height of ring is about 2 cm (3/4”) thick.
* Loser is robot that touches any portion of itself to the table supporting the ring. Also, the robot is considered a losing robot if any pieces separate from the robot.
* Participants MUST be under 12 years old as of January 1st of current year.
Here are the extra rules for Tag Team Robot Sumo. Note the intent is for the robots
to avoid the black edge of the table and eventually to meet for a pushing contest.
* There must be 2 robots with a combined weight of under 4 pounds but the robots do NOT have to be equally weighted.
* The sumo ring is about 47 inches in diameter and is white in the middle with a 1 inch black border around it. One team will have their robots in North-South positions, the other team at East-West positions. Facing of the robots at the discretion of each robot operator.
* Loser is robot that touches any portion of itself to the table supporting the ring. Also, the robot is considered a losing robot if any pieces separate from the robot. Additionally, a team wins if team has more robots on the table than the opponent team after 2 minute time is up.
* No age limit on participants.
Any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.